Saturday 13 June 2009

IDE for PHP and the frameworks

A few days ago I have been doing a quick research on the PHP frameworks and IDEs for PHP. Well, it seems there is only one most advanced IDE with a framework and the IDE is commercial - Embarcadero Delphi for PHP.

There are a few good and bad things about the IDE. The good thing is that Delphi for PHP is based on the VCL for PHP framework which is an open source project (LGPL). The bad ones are that the VCL may be not so free in the future editions and the IDE itself seems to be a bit buggy. I have also read some posts about some performance issues and in my case the IDE (the trial which I had downloaded from the Embarcadero website) has been crashing often.

So, I have decided to look around for the other tools and my choice goes to the free Eclipse PHP Development Tools. Regarding the frameworks I would choose the Zend Framework ("more commercial") or the Symfony ("more open-source" and advanced).

If you are going to use the Eclipse PDT, you may need to integrate the IDE with a PHP debugger. I did it with the xdebug (an open source) and XAMPP. XAMPP has already built-in xdebug (you don't need to download any debugger from any other vendor). Just don't forget that xdebug does not work with the Zend Optimizer or any other Zend extension (you may have to comment out the extensions in the XAMPP's php.ini).

Tomek

No comments:

Post a Comment